Saturday, January 28, 2017

Active Servent For An Active God



“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever.” – Psalm 111:10



Having a fear of the Lord was something that confused me for so long. I’ve grown up in church my entire life always being told and telling others that you have to have a fear of the Lord- but what does that actually look like? Why should I live in fear of this God who is all loving, all righteous, and all merciful? I imagined the fear of the Lord as me tip toeing around trying to just keep Him pleased and if I made one wrong move I thought He would strike me down with lightening or something radical like that! How is that the picture of a merciful or loving God? I had the complete wrong idea of what it meant to fear God!  

We serve the LIVING God. He is present and moving in my life today- NOW. Because of this, the fear I am called to have is an active fear. My whole life I had imagined a fear of the Lord as this scary thing that should cause me to freeze up and shut down. The correct fear of the Lord should wake me up and make me want to get up, get out, and DO what the Lord has asked me to- for that’s where wisdom begins. He is an active God and thus I have to be an active servant. I live for him, not in fear that He will strike me down (that isn’t the nature of the Lord!!!) but that I know He is sovereign over all. Life and death is held in the palm of His hands. And knowing the fullness of His power, how could I not fear Him? How could this not make me want to get out and serve Him. And it is there, in that active stage of fear of the Lord that wisdom begins. The understanding of wisdom comes to those who practice the commandments- those who actually DO the law of the Lord. May my fear of the Lord, be an active one not a frozen one because I serve an active and living God.



Application: I have to let the fear of the Lord be one that keeps me up and doing what the Lord has called me to do. He has called me to love Him and in that love others. Today I’m going to take time and pray that the Lord would show me specially what He would have me do and what I need to be active in.

No comments:

Post a Comment