Saturday, January 28, 2017

Making His Desires My Desires



“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all liberally without reproach, and it will be given to him.” -James 1:5



So many times, the idea of “ask and you shall receive” gets tainted and twisted. Somewhere along the lines it got in my head that God is a “vending machine” type of God. My wish is His command and on any given day I can go to the Lord and “order” whatever it is I want Him to give me. I put the dollar in and He sends peanut m&m’s out. This thinking is so backwards and is NOT how the Lord works.

Indeed, the Lord does want to bless me and He wants to give me the desires of my heart. But He, being a good Master knows what is best for me and knows I will be blessed only when I have what He has in store for me. The life I try and build for myself is nothing compared to His plans for me. We are told he gives liberally and without reproach so YES the Lord wants to bless us! But the blessings only come when I am surrendered to His will and His plans for me knowing that His are far better than my own. The blessings come when I align my will to my Father’s will.

Wisdom isn’t just going to fall from the sky. If I ask the Lord to give me a Spirit of wisdom, I can be sure He will give me a situation where that must be practiced. We live in a “vending machine” world. I want it all and I want it now. But that’s not how the Lord works. Sometimes that bag of chips has to get stuck or the m&m’s just never come down. In the moment, we don’t understand but it forces us to have to trust that He does. But if I choose to be faithful, even when I don’t understand what the Lord is doing, and I work to align my desires to His, then the Lord will give. And when the Lord does give, He gives abundantly and exceedingly greater than anything I could have ever imagined. He is a good Father and is so faithful to provide for His people who so do not deserve it.



Application: Today I will write two different lists. One with all of the things that I desire in my heart and another of all that that the Lord promises to give me when I am submitted to His will. The goal being to show me that His plans are so much better than my own and is a little step toward making His desires my desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment