Wednesday, February 8, 2017

How Now Shall I Live?


“Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “and what shall we do?” So he said to them, “do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.” -Luke 3:14

Back in high school I read a book titled “How then shall we now live?” and to be completely honest I don’t remember much about what the book was about, however the title has always stuck with me. The question is saying that in light of what we now know, how now shall we live? How do we actually walk out what we have just learned? When it comes to the gospel, I ask myself this on a very regular basis- how shall I then live knowing all Christ has done for me? The question has kind of always been a heart check for me- am I living as if the Savior of the world laid down His life so that I could have mine? Because He did!

In this verse, this is exactly what the soldiers are asking of John, however it’s in light of contentment and money. They are asking what do we do with this information. It’s getting from point A to point B and getting out of their old selfish and routine ways. They see the value in what John is saying, but transitioning and actually making the change is what they don’t understand. For me, I think it’s that transition period of life that’s always hardest for me. I hate change. Moving away from our old ways and turning 180 and begin walking in the light. Transition may not be an easy thing, however when its Jesus telling me to make that change I have to ask myself that question of “how then shall I now live?” The only way I am ever going to lead a full and abundant life is if I’m living it in light and walking in what Jesus has done for me. He is enough and in Him I must be content.

Application: Today I will ask myself that question of “how now shall I live” and pray that the Lord would speak to me and that I’d be patient to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment