Saturday, February 18, 2017

Time to Learn, Not Lead


"obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.” -Hebrews 13:17

I have always struggled with being a student. In almost everything I’ve done in life, not long after I’m “new to the program” I begin “leading the program.” My natural tendency isn’t to want to follow directions but rather be giving the directions.

In this season of my life, the Lord has made it so clear since the beginning that this is a time for me to finally be a student. To learn and grow- not lead. This sounds like a simple and peaceful thing however in my life I have become so accustomed to busyness and leading that slowing things down and learning feels like foreign territory. Nevertheless, this is exactly where the Lord wants me. He wants me to learn to learn. Ignite for me has been this greenhouse experience- people are pouring into you, day and night, and it’s my job to soak it all in and GROW.

With the Lord, I think so many times I try to be the leader. I show the Lord my beautifully color coded agenda and expect Him to just write it off as good and let me do the rest and run with it. This never works. The Lord is a light unto my feet. He doesn’t just light up the whole big old path and then tell me to run down it and meet Him at the other side. He asks me to walk- only illuminating one step at a time. Its learning to trust Him and learning to walk by His side and not run ahead and call back to everyone else to follow me. This is a season for me to rest and learn to be a student and this is exactly where the Lord wants me.

 Application: I am going to be mindful of all the times I try and take the lead- that’s not my place. When I feel myself trying to take over, I am going to take a big step back and let someone else step forward.

1 comment:

  1. What a great opportunity to learn of humility which is so necessary especially for a leader, which you are. You're wise to learn to discern when it's time to lead and when to follow. 😘 Miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete